CFWW+S provides guidance in the process of forming a non-profit organization and obtaining tax-exempt status from the IRS. The advice of our high level legal counsel is crucial at every stage of the process. You will receive a comprehensive consultation to make sure you understand formation and governance options.
Unlike most large law firms we do not assign junior attorneys to your matter. An experienced attorney with comprehensive resources will guide you from the beginning to the end of the process. In addition, your attorney will be an advisor to the leaders of the organization in the election of the board of directors, the indemnification of officers and directors, the conflict of interest policy and the other best practices listed in the Federal Form 990 submission.
Areas of counsel include:
- Formation (preparing all organizational documents such as the articles of incorporation and bylaws and all related filings)
- Governance and board structure, composition, roles and responsibilities
- Securing IRS recognition of Tax-Exempt status (Forms 1023 and 1024)
- Establishment and maintenance of Private Foundations
- Annual IRS informational filing for Tax-Exempt organizations (Forms 990, 990-PF)
- Assistance with unrelated business income tax, including Form 990-T
- State regulatory compliance
- Conflict of interest policies
- Liability, risk management and insurance
- Regulatory compliance and annual reporting
- Corporate practices and record keeping